Thursday, October 15, 2015

Reinforcement Workshops - Session 1 (13-15 October)

Dear students & readers of this blog,

This week we have started our workshops to reinforce speaking, listening and writing skills for Basic and Intermediate 1 levels. As first things come first, let me remind you where and when they are going to take place, and who they are aimed at:

  • Tuesdays, 17-18.15 p.m. - Basic 2 (they will be available to Basic 1 from January).
  • Thursdays, 17-18.15 p.m. - Intermediate 1
What are we going to do in these workshops? We'll do different activities to reinforce those skills that are traditionally more difficult for the student, that is, speaking, listening and writing, but the main focus will be on speaking.

This week, we have started with introductions, with speaking about ourselves to others. For that, I have asked the students to design their COAT OF ARMS. What is that, exactly? Let me show you an example:


 This is the coat of arms of the city of Aranjuez. As you can see, it includes different elements: the cross of the Order of Santiago, and a palace or a castle, which is over some blue and grey waves representing a river. Below this, there is a scroll with a motto, that can be translated as "Royal site and village of Aranjuez", and on top of it all, a majestic crown. All of these elements represent what characterises Aranjuez: The order of Santiago built an old palace in 1387 that, in time, would become the beautiful Royal Palace of Aranjuez, key element of the city, along with the river Tajo that crosses it. The crown and the moto remind us that kings and queens lived here. That's why it is a Royal Site.

So a coat of arms tells a lot of things about a place...or a person! So I've asked the students to design their own coat of arms, with those elements that represent them the most. Of course, I designed mine, and this was the result:



My coat of arms from leticiaeoiplasencia

This coat of arms says a lot about me: where I am from, my hobbies, my passions...and the way I see life.

Now, what would your coat of arms be like? What elements would it include? Please write a COMMENT describing it.

See you next week!! 

No comments: