Tuesday, September 22, 2009

2º NB - Of Coats of Arms

Dear students,

It's the beginning of the year and now we are getting to know one another. And as a means of doing it, we are designing our own personal COAT OF ARMS (thanks to my wonderful teacher from Lake School, Oxford, Jane Barden, for the idea, as well as for many others I intend to put to practice in our classroom.)

Ok, first thing is first. What exactly is a coat of arms? A piece of clothing? A part of one's body? Both? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! In fact, it is...

"An arrangement of bearings, or symbols, usually depicted on and around a shield, which indicates ancestry and distinctions." (source: www.texastech.edu/identityguidelines/glossary.php)


A Coat of Arms should look somewhat like this:


Now, in class, I showed you the Coat of Arms of the astonishingly beautiful city of Oxford. Here you have it:




The coat of arms of Oxford shows an OX FORDing the River Thames. The Latin motto "Fortis est Veritas" means "The truth is strong."


... Ok, what's the meaning of "Ford"?


ford
n.
1- A shallow place in a body of water, such as a river, where one can cross by walking or riding on an animal or in a vehicle.


tr.v. ford·ed, ford·ing, fords
2- To cross (a body of water) at a ford.

(source: thefreedictionary.com)


After this, I'm sure you want to make your own online Coat of Arms. Click here and enjoy!!


REMEMBER: I asked you to draw your personal coat of arms in class, and to explain it to the rest of the classroom. Please click on the word "comments" to write a description of the coat of arms you designed.


Here are some coats of arms designed by 2ºNB students:


























By: Javier Clavijo (2º B), David Moreno (2º A), Juan Antonio Martín (2º B) and Yolanda López (2ºB). Thanks for your contributions!!

11 comments:

Dori said...

My coat of arms has at the top a heart for my family,my dog too.
Then I´ve painted everything that I like: the sun, the sea, a plane (I enjoy travelling),a book (to read is my passion),and some people
dancing because I love dancing.
My motto is "live happy".

Leticia said...

Thank you very much, Dori!
Just a couple of slight improvements: "At the top, my coat of arms has a heart..." (don't separate the verb from its object)
And "reading is my passion" (when a verb is the subject of a sentence, it should be in the -ing form).
Well done!

josemanuel said...

Hi,I'M Jose Manuel,in my coat of arms there are mountains,rivers,a computer,a bicycle and my family.
Why? Because I like the nature,I like to run with my bicycle in the forest,and enjoy good moments with my family, and I've painted a computer, because in My free time,I seat in from of and read my emails,the news,and I listen good music.Who is my motto? "LIVE AND ENJOY"

Francisco Manuel Valle Domínguez said...

I like Today's coats of arms..

Leticia said...

Thanks, José Manuel!!
A couple of comments: "because I like nature" (the article is before "nature" is not necessary here, as it is in Spanish). "I go running" (sports like :go running, go swimming...). "because in my free time, I "sit" (seat is the noun)in front of it..." "and I listen TO good music". And finally, "Which is my motto?"
Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Hello.
My name is Sonia.
My coat of arms has the sun, a CD music and a bow because I like being outdoor, I like listening to music with my friends in pubs and I like playing role games.
I`ve painted La Alhambra because was bor in Granada. I think Granada is the most wonderful place in the world.
My motto is "must move"

Leticia said...

Thanks, Sonia!!
There are some spelling mistakes, but other than that, thanks for your contribution.

amparoca said...

My name is Amparo. At the top of my coat of arms I've painted a sun because I like the life and the light. My coat of arms has few pictures. I've painted a book because I like reading and I am a teacher. I've painted in the coat of arms the sea because I like walking by the beach and I give me relax. I've painted the Gold Tower because I was born in Seville. I've painted some trees because I like nature. Also I've painted a musical note because I like listening to music.

Leticia said...

Thanks, Amparo, for your contribution!!!
Just a couple of comments about it: "I like life and sunlight" (omit the article when you are talking about something in general, without specifying). "I've painted the sea..." (do not separate a transitive verb from its object). The phrase "give me relax" doesn't make sense. It'd be better to say "and relax".Don't translate "Torre del Oro" or any other well-known monument, into English.
Thanks!! Good job!

Unknown said...

Hi,I´m leonor.
In my coat of arms there are four symbols:
a tree, a dog, a book a small motto.
why? because I think that a dog is a symbol of friendship, it love you always. The tree gives a lot of fruits as the friendship. A book teaches you and you can choose the right.
The principals mottos of my coat of arms are " I´m not different to you" and "Friendship of honor"

Leticia said...

Thanks, Leonor, for your contribution,
Just a few things. You say you have painted "a small motto" on your coat of arms? Remember that a motto is a short phrase normally placed under the shield.
Apart from that, when you speak of the dog, you should say "it always loves you" (the frequency adverb should go before the verb, and don't forget the 3rd pers. sing -s!!). Remember also that "fruit" is uncountable, so it takes no plural.
Apart from that, well done!